The addition of sweet potato and apple helps to reduce some of the fat that you may normally consume. You can leave out the apple and make this recipe just using sweet potatoes!
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 200 g wheat flour
- 100 g butter, at room temperature
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 Golden delicious apple
- 1 sweet potato
- 75 g ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 packet of baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4).
- Peel and dice the apple and sweet potato and cook for 10 minutes in a pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs followed by the flour and baking powder.
- Work the ingredients together until you have a smooth mixture.
- Finally, add the ground almonds, the roughly mashed apple and sweet potato, and the cinnamon.
- Pour the mixture into a tin and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes.
For a richer cake, replace some of the flour with more sweet potato. The will make the cake more moist but it will not keep very long.