This Portuguese speciality is a complete dish, high in fibre, proteins, minerals and trace elements. With no added fat, this recipe will form the basis of a healthy meal, along with a dairy product, for calcium, and fresh fruit or green salad.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 300 g black-eyed peas
- 1 bunch rapini
- 2 potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 loaf stale cornbread, to be crumbled over the hot salad
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Cook the peas in unsalted water (otherwise they will not cook). Wash the rapini and cut it into small chunks.
- When the peas are nearly cooked, add the salt, then the rapini.
- Hard-boil the eggs and cook the potatoes in salted water.
- When all the ingredients are cooked, drain, peel and cut into pieces in a salad bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot and garlic, and add.
- Crumble the cornbread over the top and serve with a bottle of olive oil so that each person can prepare the salad to his/her own taste.
Soak the peas overnight: they will cook faster and without crumbling.