As a source of complex sugars and fibre, this puree provides a delicious balance for a protein-rich dish. Round it off with a green salad or raw veggies, for example.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1kg of yams
- 500ml of milk
- a knob of butter
- Peel and wash the yams carefully to remove the starch.
- Cut in pieces and cook in a pot of salted water for 20 min.
- Put through a potato masher together with a ladle full of the cooking juice.
- Gradually add warmed-up milk while stirring.
- Grate the nutmeg over the puree and mix.
- Remove from heat and add butter while continuing to stir. Serve hot.
A great side dish with poultry.