We don’t think often enough about making starters with lots of vegetables in them, but they are one of the best ways of making vegetables a real treat. Did you know that a starter based on deli meats contains around 300 to 400 calories, and at least 400 to 500 if there is pastry as well?
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 500 g of frozen sliced courgettes
- 200 g of carrots
- 1/8 l of milk
- 100 g of crème fraîche
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp of thyme
- Worcester sauce
- 1 handful of parsley
- 2 tbsp of vinegar
- 3 tbsp of oil
- Cut the carrots into very small pieces. Blanch the courgettes in boiling water for 30 seconds and the carrots for 3 minutes.
- Rinse in very cold water and drain.
- Whisk the milk with the crème fraîche, egg yolks and whole egg.
- Season generously with salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme and Worcester sauce.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3, 170°.
- Fill each terrine with alternate layers of carrots and courgettes and pour the milk and egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover with aluminium foil and cook in a bain-marie for 1/2 hour.
- Leave to cool and place the terrines in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before turning them out.
- Chop the parsley and make a dressing with the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the parsley to the vinaigrette and serve with the terrines.
You can also make a single terrine, in a cake tin for example. Cook for one hour.