6 things you should know about vitamin B9
When thinking about vitamin B9, people immediately think of pregnancy and taking dietary supplements. However, things are not quite so simple. Here are 6 essential things to know:
- It has several names: vitamin B9, folate, and folic acid.
- It reduces the risk of malformations during the baby’s birth, and it reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- It is very sensitive to light and heat: do not store foods containing vitamin B9 for too long before eating them, and do not cook them in too much water.
- It is found in abundance in green vegetables such as spinach, sorrel, lettuce, and broccoli…and in citrus fruits.
- Generally, children do not eat enough of it.
- Folic acid deficiency can cause anemia.