Combining vegetables like aubergines with cheese means you get the nutritional benefits of 2 food groups in a single dish: calcium, fibre, vitamins and more. Plus it’s an excellent way of getting the more reluctant to eat vegetables!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 aubergines
- 1 onion
- 1 small jar of tomato sauce
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- pepper and salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Peel the aubergines. Cut into circles or semi-circles depending on the size of the aubergines.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the aubergines.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C.
- Peel and chop the onion, add to the aubergines and leave to sweat.
- Add half the tomato sauce and the thyme and leave it to cook gently for about fifteen minutes until the vegetables are tender and just cooked.
- Transfer into an ovenproof dish.
- Spread the rest of the tomato sauce on top.
- Slice the mozzarella, place on top of the sauce and bake for 10 minutes.
- As soon as the mozzarella starts to brown, it’s done!
Use flavoured tomato sauces for a change, such as basil, Neapolitan, olive, aubergine etc.