Vegetables are best combined to bring out their complementary flavours and nutritional benefits. Is chicory on its own a bit dreary? Do carrots on their own make you think “diet” ? Put them together for a great combination of vitamins (B9, provitamin A) and colours.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 400 g chicory
- 200 g carrots
- 120 ml dry white wine
- Salt, pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/4 litre chicken stock (cube)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Peel the garlic and chop to the desired size, taking care to remove the shoot.
- Peel and slice the carrots. Set aside.
- Remove any damaged leaves from the chicory, rinse quickly under running water and wipe dry. Avoid leaving them soaking in the water, as it will make them bitter. Cut off the bottoms. Chop and set aside.
- Brown the carrots lightly in hot oil over a medium heat and add garlic and thyme.
- Add the chicory to the carrots and mix. Place over a low heat.
- Add the white wine and chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning and remove the thyme. Serve hot.
Get the same flavour and balanced nutrition extra fast by using sliced frozen carrots and lengthening the cooking time by 5 minutes. Or use a pressure-cooker and cut the cooking time by half!