This sauce is packed with vegetables and perfect for serving with starchy food or fish: proof that food can be tasty, healthy and low in fat.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 2 red peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 x 425 g can of chopped tomatoes with juice.
- 1/2 tsp of dried chillis.
- 1 tbsp of fresh coriander
- 4 tbsp of dry white wine.
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- Cut the peppers into 4.
- Remove the stalks, seeds and white fibrous ribs.
- Cover a grill pan or ovenproof dish with aluminium foil and place the peppers on top, skin side up.
- Grill under a high heat until the skin goes dark brown.
- Wrap the peppers in the aluminium foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes, then peel off the skin and slice the flesh into fine strips.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat.
- Add the red onion and fry for a few minutes to soften.
- Lower the heat, add the garlic and flesh from the peppers and cook for an other minute.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, cover the wok and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Stir during cooking, taste and correct the seasoning before serving.
This spicy-flavoured sauce is just as good served hot or cold and goes well with fish, meat or grilled chicken. Also perfect with all kinds of pancakes.