A great idea for a gourmet snack to serve with aperitifs. Also a good way of getting them to eat vegetables! This Creole recipe is perfect with aperitifs or as a starter.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 200 g of carrots,
- 200 g of celery sticks or white cabbage
- 2 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 large bunch of parsley
- 1 large bunch of chives
- 2 cups of flour
- salt and pepper
- frying oil
- Peel and finely chop the onions and shallots.
- Crush the garlic. Peel and grate the carrots and cabbage or celery.
- Mix all the vegetables together.
- Wash the herbs, spin them dry and chop finely. Add them to the vegetables with the egg and flour.
- Mix until you have a fairly thick batter, adding a little water if necessary. Season with salt, pepper and chilli to taste.
- Heat 3 cm of oil in a saucepan. Once the oil is hot, add a spoonful of batter and then another.
- Turn the fritter over as soon as it floats.
- Cook until pale gold in colour, drain on absorbent paper and keep warm.
- Continue until all the batter is used up. Serve hot.
Fritters can be made with all kinds of vegetables: squashes (pumpkin or gourds), courgettes, aubergines etc. Choose a balanced mix of colours and season with plenty of chilli.
Taste the first fritter to check whether it is salty or spicy enough.