A great idea for a starter for people with large appetites and a nice change from the same old deli meats. An ideal way of cooking with seasonal vegetables!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 100 g carrots, peas, sweet corn and celery.
- 2 tbsp of butter and flour
- 200 ml of milk
- nutmeg, parsley, salt, pepper, fine breadcrumbs to coat
- 180 g of coarse breadcrumbs
- Peel and finely chop the onions and brown them in the butter.
- Sprinkle with flour and add the milk, stirring all the time, until you have a thick béchamel sauce.
- Cut the vegetables for the fritters into small pieces and blanch quickly in boiling salted water, then drain and add to the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the chopped parsley and grated nutmeg.
- Leave the mixture to cool.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the beaten egg.
- To make the fritters, take a large spoonful of the béchamel and vegetables, dip it into the beaten egg and fry.
- Serve hot.
Always make sure your cooking oil is really hot and fry the fritters a few at a time so that the oil seals them straightaway rather than soaking into them.